Introduction:The Ethiopian Nile Basin Discourse Forum (Eth-NDF) is a network of civil society organizations (CSOs) and Non-governmental Organizations committed to promoting civil society and basin community participation and active engagement in the development and sustainable utilization of the Nile water resources.
The Ethiopian NDF launched in December 2005 as a result of series of consultative meetings and lively debates among like-minded Ethiopian civil society groups that could no more bear witnessing the paradox of socioeconomic deprivation, grinding poverty and hunger that had befallen the Nile basin communities, while one of the World's biggest rivers is flowing by their very door steps, untapped. The NDF is legally registered as a Local Organization with the Civil Society Organization Proclamation in Ethiopia. Eth-NDF is accountable to the NBD secretariat.
The NDF is convinced that the time has come to redress injustice through a collaborative effort between government, civil society and the international development community. In this regard, it recognizes the enormous opportunities created by the new vision of the Nile basin countries towards a shared and sustainable utilization of the Nile water resources, through the Nile Basin Initiative (NBI). Eth-NDF believes that the effective participation of the Ethiopian civil society and the grass root basin communities in the policy making and development process of this huge water resource is of crucial importance to the realization of the NBI vision and programs.
Objectives:The main objective of the Forum is to promote dialogue on sustainable, equitable development, peace and mutual understanding on issues of the Nile Basin. The specific objectives:
- To promote the process of dialogue on the developments of the Nile Basin.
- To provide and facilitate fora for exchange of information concerning developments and activities within the Nile Basin.
- To establish and maintain an information center that will facilitate the sustainable utilization and management of the Nile Basin resources.
- To promote and support research on issues on the Nile Basin which are relevant to the Nile Basin Region.
- To support other initiatives in the Nile Basin that aim at the promotion of peace and conflict resolution.
- Promote the sustainable use and equitable distribution of the Nile Basin resources and which take into account, economic, environmental and gender issues.
Strategic Direction:In relation to the NBD five-year strategy for the period 2023 - 2027 “Share and Shared, empowered and inclusive action across the Nile Basin river”, the NDF will align its programs & projects within the scope of the NBD strategic objectives:
- Inclusivity and Cooperation; The Strategy 2023-2027 is based on the universal SDGs and the Africa Agenda 2063, and therefore responds to the different targets of the agendas.
- Increased Linkage and Influence of Stakeholders to Government and Inter-governmental Structures for Basin-wide Projects and Programs
- Influencing trans-boundary Dialogues and Actions for the sharing of the Nile Water resources.
- Influencing policy development, planning and Aqua Awareness for equitable utilization and sustainable incremental management of the Nile Basin resources.
- Expanding and strengthening a diverse NBD membership base.
- Pursuing Diversity of/for Institutional and Financial Sustainability.
NDF Contacts:Physical Address:
Debrezeit Road, Behind Global Hotel, Agri Service Ethiopia Compound.
P.O. Box 2460, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Phone: +251 11 4654088 ,+251 911 123453